Each year, more than 1,000 volunteers join the Hospital Hill Run Race Crew to help make Kansas City’s oldest running event a huge success! Our dedicated volunteers, comprised of community groups, businesses, teams, schools, families and generous individuals, work hard to create the best race weekend experience and atmosphere for our participants and fans!
In addition to thousands of heartfelt thank you’s, volunteers will receive
- A Volunteer Crew T-shirt
- 3 Hours of Free Parking Thursday-Friday, Free Parking Saturday
- Virtual Swag Bag with Coupons and Discounts
- Post Race Party Invitation after shift competion Friday and/or Saturday
- Rock and Run Volunteer Party Invitation (date determined after race weekend)
- Opportunities for Prizes and Giveaways
- AND Course Marshal volunteers receive a 50% discount off of a future Hospital Hill Run race registration
We have a variety of roles and shifts for groups and individuals from May 31st-June 3rd, 2017. Experienced volunteers serve as Captains in each volunteer area, because we want even our first-time volunteers to have the best possible experience! Whether setting up the Health and Fitness Expo, handing out registration packets, checking in gear, offering water to athletes, cheering and steering athletes along the route, handing out towels, or something else, all roles are equally vital for the race. The athletes and fans count on the volunteers for a good, safe experience, which is why we expect all volunteers to show up on time and complete their full shift.
New and returning groups show off their team spirit and support the athletes with their energy and excitement. We do not have a separate group registration, but can create a protected password for your group members to use when registering. For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator: Andrea@Hospitalhillrun.com.
Below are some favorite group opportunities. Click HERE for a full list of opportunities.
- Aid Stations are the perfect place to wear your own group shirt, promote your name on signs and get creative with music, entertainment, cheers, encouraging posters and more. With 30-60 volunteers you can make the Aid Station your own, but hurry since we have a limited number of stations!
- Packet Pickup is an indoor, weekday opportunity to help during work hours or right after work. It has the added bonus of taking place during the Health and Fitness Expo with more than 60 exhibitors who showcase the latest in running, fitness, health and nutrition.
- Finish line volunteers cheer on participants as they complete the race and provide much needed support by handing out food, water, towels and medals and by guiding athletes and fans through the busy area.
- Register by May 15th to be guaranteed a T-shirt.
- All volunteers must register individually and sign a waiver, even if volunteering as part of a group. Group volunteers who receive a password from their group coordinator should enter it when registering.
- A parent or guardian over 18 years of age may register someone under the age of 18 and provide supervision during the volunteer shift.
- You may register for multiple shifts as long as the shifts do not overlap.
- Hospital Hill Run takes place RAIN or SHINE. The athletes and fans count on the volunteers to show up on time and complete their commitments in order to have a safe and good experience.
- After completing online registration, volunteers will receive an automatic confirmation, more detailed information closer to race day, and Hospital Hill Run e-newsletters. We will text emergency notifications during race weekend if necessary.
- Don’t forget to connect with us on social media!
Race Weekend Volunteer Guidelines
- Please allow time for parking, checking-in, and getting to your designated area before your shift begins. Plan to work your full shift.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you can stand in for several hours, dress for the weather and don’t forget the sunscreen. The races take place rain or shine!
- We offer refreshments for volunteers throughout the weekend.
- No experience is necessary and we ensure that trained, experienced, volunteer captains lead each volunteer area. We will provide emergency contact information closer to the race.
- Volunteers and Aid Station captains should pick up T-shirts and volunteer information during the Health and Fitness Expo at Crown Center Exhibit Hall, 2345 McGee Street, Kansas City, Missouri, 64108 on Thursday, June 1st from 3pm-7pm and on Friday, June 2nd from 11am-8pm. Learn more about the exciting Expo HERE!
- There will be a Volunteer Check-In Tent Friday evening and on Saturday outside at Crown Center Square, 2450 Grand Boulevard, Kansas City, Missouri
Volunteers can support local charities too!
Volunteers have the opportunity to raise money for local charities. In the past 5 years, charity participants and volunteers have raised more than $800,000 for local causes. Learn more about our charity partners and how you can help them raise money HERE.
If you have any additional questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator: Andrea@Hospitalhillrun.com.