Each year, more than 1,000 volunteers join the Hospital Hill Run Race Crew to help make Kansas City’s oldest running event a huge success! Our dedicated volunteers work hard to create the best race weekend experience and atmosphere for our participants and fans!
Volunteer Registration Opens February 2018
“It’s exciting to see all of the participants reach their personal goal of reaching the finish line. ” – Stacy Jones
“I have volunteered (at HHR) for more than 4 years, and always enjoy meeting people” – Rosalyn Sykes
“I’ve run many races in the KC Metro and would like to give back by supporting the runners.” Ryan Yamnitz
In addition to thousands of heartfelt thank you’s, meeting incredible people and being able to give back to the community, volunteers will receive
- A Volunteer Crew T-shirt
- Prizes and Giveaways
- AND Course Marshal volunteers receive a Hospital Hill Run race registration or merchandise discounts.
I’ve been volunteering as a course marshall for several years. I enjoy cheering the runners on as well as keeping them safe! – Jeff Eppler
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities May 30th-June 2nd for individuals, families and groups that offer ultimate flexibility – weekday and weekend, inside and outside, day and evening. Most shifts range 2-4 hours. Experienced volunteers serve as Captains in each volunteer area, because we want even our first-time volunteers to have the best possible experience!
- Ask Me Team: Welcome, inform and prepare athletes and fans on race day.
- Aid Station: Ensure that athletes are hydrated, motivated and safe at designated locations along the route. Groups of 30-50 volunteers hand out drinks and cheer on the athletes! This is a perfect opportunity for groups.
- Course Marshal: Keep athletes safe by ensuring that streets are clear of vehicles and spectators. Volunteers work in pairs and serve near intersections along the route.
- Expo Greeter: Welcome athletes, volunteers and everyone who enters the Expo.
- Expo Packet Pickup: Provide athletes with information and materials they need for race day. This is also a nice group option…and there is air conditioning!
- Expo Setup: Help organize merchandise, T-shirts, and giveaways before the Expo begins.
- Finish Line: Care for tired athletes at the end of the race by handing out medals, cold sponges, food and drinks. We highly recommend this role for families.
- Gear Check: Support athletes by keeping their belongings safe during the race.
- Post Race Party: Help athletes and volunteers celebrate by taking tickets and supporting food and drink vendors as needed.
- Registration: Support fellow volunteers by checking them in, providing information and handing out shirts.
- Volunteer Captains: Experienced volunteers provide key support and training to other volunteers in each role. Lead volunteers to their location and provide on-site training and guidance.
I connect with my grandkids by volunteering!- Minnie Offield
I just love being able to cheer others on in their race and encourage them to keep going! – Bethany Mears
New and returning groups show off their team spirit and support the athletes with their energy and excitement. For more information, please contact our volunteer coordinator: Andrea@Hospitalhillrun.com.
Below are some favorite group opportunities.
- Aid Stations are the perfect place to wear your own group shirt, promote your name on signs and get creative with music, entertainment, cheers, encouraging posters and more. With 30-50 volunteers you can make the Aid Station your own, but hurry since we have a limited number of stations!
- Packet Pickup is an indoor, weekday opportunity to help during work hours or right after work. It has the added bonus of taking place during the Health and Fitness Expo with more than 60 exhibitors who showcase the latest in running, fitness, health and nutrition.
- All volunteers must register individually and sign a waiver, even if volunteering as part of a group.
- Group volunteers who receive a password from their group coordinator should enter it when registering.
- A parent or guardian over 18 years of age may register someone under the age of 18 and provide supervision during the volunteer shift.
- You may register for multiple shifts as long as the shifts do not overlap.
- Hospital Hill Run takes place RAIN or SHINE. The athletes and fans count on the volunteers to show up on time and complete their commitments in order to have a safe and good experience.
- After completing online registration, volunteers will receive an automatic confirmation, more detailed information closer to race day, and Hospital Hill Run e-newsletters. We will text emergency notifications during race weekend if necessary.
- Don’t forget to connect with us on social media!
Race Weekend Volunteer Guidelines
- Please allow time for parking, checking-in, and getting to your designated area before your shift begins. Plan to work your full shift.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you can stand in for several hours, dress for the weather and potentially cold air conditioning, and don’t forget the sunscreen. The races take place rain or shine!
- No experience is necessary and we ensure that trained, experienced, volunteer captains lead each volunteer area. We will provide emergency contact information closer to the race.
- Volunteers and Aid Station captains should pick up T-shirts and volunteer information during the Health and Fitness Expo, May 31-June 1, 2018 at the Crown Center Exhibit Hall, 2345 McGee Street, Kansas City, Missouri, 64108.
- There will be a Volunteer Check-In Tent Friday evening and on Saturday outside at Crown Center Square, 2450 Grand Boulevard, Kansas City, Missouri
Volunteers can support local charities too!
Volunteers have the opportunity to raise money for local charities. Learn more about our charity program HERE.
Thanks to everyone who has volunteered for the Hospital Hill Run! We really do have the best volunteers…check out what our athletes said on the 2017 survey:
“The volunteers were fantastic, very cheerful and encouraging.”
“Aid stations were OUTSTANDING!!! Best aid stations in any half I have ever done.”
“Great volunteers on every part of the course”
If you have any additional questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator: Andrea@Hospitalhillrun.com.